Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Hongified










Hong Kong is totally amazing. A super-sized combo of old and new and East and West. I'm living in Mei Foo, a convenient metro ride away from just about everything. The transportation systems here are far beyond anything I've ever encountered and you can get anywhere using your 'octopus card', or as I like to say "the octi-card". MTR, KCR, ferry, bus, tram, cable car, anything that moves is connected to a little card which you load up and scan when you enter/exit stations (it charges by distance)and you can also use the card at 7-11. Just incredible!

I love this city. I have been Hongified.

After arriving I had only enough time to shower before enjoying my first Dim Sum ever. And this my friends, was the begginning of the end. I have not stopped eating since. I am certain I have tried more new foods in the past 7 days than I have in the past 10 years of my life. I am being spoiled to death by Mel and her family and just being white can really get you places here. So, to set the scene, just imagine mounds and mounds of food every 4 hours or so...and I mean mounds, dishes upon dishes stacked one on top of the other because there just isn't enough space on the table. Now imagine me, only 20 pounds fatter.

The weather has been slightly uncompromising and about 3 amber alert typhoon warnings have been issued over the past 5 days. Rain, rain, rain. But, I have persevered! The 10,000 Buddha temple was first on my list and not well known on the tourist circuit - not another whitey, or anyone around. I also managed to squeeze the "Peak" in before the rain to get a beautiful view of the HK sky line and the outlying islands. I've educated myself at the History of HK Museum and learned about prehistoric pasts up until now - very interesting to say the least. Okay, so who am I kidding, the markets....OH the markets! These alone are the sole reason I *have* to come back here. I can't buy anything as I don't want to huff around with unnecessary weight but you can really buy anything your little heart desires here. My heart desires the shoes! There are indoor markets, outdoor markets, night markets, food markets, fish markets, tea markets, day markets...I love them all! My small purchases have included a bing-bong, a watch, and new sunglasses (already broke the ones I brought) but I am now exaggerating when I say I could spend thousands...thousands and thousands on shoes. Be proud, I have not bought one pair - not even tried them on. I only dream of them...

The moral of the story is: I will come back here one day to shop my little head right off.

More to come...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home