Saturday, September 16, 2006

Typhooning on my parade








4 Amber alert typhoon warnings have set my remaining HK plans off track. Rain, wind, lightning, thunder, umbrellas poking you in the eye every which way...the madness! Even school children were sent home from their afternoon classes. I have been set back. The original plan was to check out Lantau for a day and Macau for another - both islands off the coast of HK, each about an hour ferry ride away. But when you're utterly soaking the entire time and your brolly is being blown inside-out, it just isn't as fun. So, alas, another reason I will have to come back. Mel and I did however, make it to Lamma, on a day that turned out to be just ideal (as it only started Typhooning on our way home). I swam in the warm oceans, hiked some jungly paths, and enjoyed the view - a hippy island really and we also made it to Cheung Chau Island where we rented bikes for a few hours, toured the hills and chilled with some beer...all very civilized as there are no cars on either of the Islands. We were so relaxed we managed to miss the 3.5 earthquake that happened during dinner. We then went to Stanley market where I could have done some serious shopping, but ended up with a few hair bands and a skirt. Don't get me wrong though, I will return and do some damage.

As I've said before, Mel's family has been spoiling me rotten. Dinner with her Dad Jimmy is an affair alone and I have had not only the best seafood of my life (we picked it out while it was still swimming around) but also the best Kobe steak I think I will ever have! I have had endless dishes placed in front of me and have tried pretty much everything, some of it I don't even know what it is. Meat, meat, meat for breakfast lunch and dinner is getting somewhat tiresome however and I'm looking forward to the change that a mainly vegetarian India has to offer.

Tomorrow I leave for Delhi, with a short stop in Singapore and will, if all goes according to plan, be greeted by Laura in the airport. I think we're ready. Let's go India! Bring it!

1 Comments:

Blogger Laura Davies said...

Nice sunglasses. Hongified.

honkhonk...HONK..honk..hon....k..hooooooooooonk....honk...honk.

6:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home